The Policy Group provides overarching strategic consideration and coordination of Cambridge Ahead activity. In this role, it tracks the implementation of the 27 recommendations of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Independent Economic Review (CPIER). The Group provides a regular forum for CA to engage with Government, Local Authorities and other partners to discuss emerging policy issues and provide strategic oversight around key issues affecting the region.
Latest News & Insights
Policy Group Chair: Dr David Cleevely CBE FREng FIET
David Cleevely is an entrepreneur who has founded a series of companies including Abcam, Analysys and the award-winning restaurant Bocca di Lupo. He is Chairman of Chemify (a Glasgow University spin out founded with Professor Lee Cronin), Focal Point Positioning, and the Cambridge Science Centre. He was Chairman of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Founding Director of the Centre for Science and Policy, University of Cambridge and co-founded Cambridge Network, Cambridge Wireless, Cambridge Angels and Cambridge Ahead.
He was Vice-Chair of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Independent Economic Review, Chair of the Cambridge Autonomous Metro (CAM) Technical Advisory Committee and Chair of the enquiry into policy after Covid, the Cambridge Ahead ‘New Era for the Cambridge Economy’ (NECE) Steering Committee.
He also chairs the Royal Academy of Engineering Policy Fellowships Working Group. For 8 years until March 2009 he was a member of the Ofcom Spectrum Advisory Board and from 2001 to 2008 he was a member of the Ministry of Defence DES-ISS (DCSA) Board. He was awarded an honorary doctorate in Education by Bath University in 2022 and an honorary doctorate in Technology by Anglia Ruskin University in July 2023.
Project Group Members
- David Nicholson, Policy Advisory, Wellcome Sanger Institute* and YAC representative
- Andy Brown, Group Corporate Affairs Director, MAG Stansted Airport*
- Dr David Cleevely CBE, Chairman of Raspberry Pi, Honorary Vice-Chair of Cambridge Ahead and Chair of the CA NECE Steering Committee
- Mike Emmerich, Founding Director of Metro Dynamics Ltd.
- Lawrence Morris, Public Affairs Manager, University of Cambridge*
- Andy Williams, Vice President Cambridge Programme & Strategy, AstraZeneca*
- Duncan McCunn, Corporate Director, Barclays* and Chair of the CA Transport Group
- Paul Mumford, Project Director, Urban and Civic*
- Tom Fairley, Deputy General Counsel, Arm*
- External parties from local and national authorities and other organisations are regularly invited to attend Policy Group meetings to discuss relevant policy matters.
- Daniel Northam-Jones, Director of Strategy, Cambridge University Hospitals*
- Dan Thorp, CEO
- Alex Rossiter, Policy Manager
- Chilombo Musa, Policy and Research Officer