The Housing Group aims to influence policy based on experiential and empirical understanding of how current and expected future population and employment growth impacts on the housing market.
Currently the group is exploring practical solutions to provide more and better affordable housing for city workers and analysing how the housing market is being affected by the pandemic.
Housing Group Chair: Dr Gemma Burgess, Acting Director of Cambridge Centre for Housing and Planning Research, University of Cambridge
Dr Gemma Burgess is the Acting Director of Cambridge Centre for Housing and Planning Research at the University of Cambridge, where she leads a multidisciplinary team working on policy-oriented research projects.
Having studied for her MA, MPhil and PhD in the Department of Geography, University of Cambridge, she has been part of CCHPR since 2007 and is a Fellow of St Edmund’s College and the University’s Deputy Junior Proctor.
Gemma’s research interests include land supply and the delivery of housing through the planning system and she has conducted extensive research on Section 106, the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and affordable housing, including research for the House of Commons Communities and Local Government Select Committee on the nature of planning constraints. She has also ledresearch into the value of planning obligations for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, which built on research into the delivery of planning gain through S106 and CIL for MHCLG and capturing planning gain for RICS, amongst others. Gemma’s publications include a chapter in Planning Gain: Providing Infrastructure and Affordable Housing.
She is also passionate about housing inequality, the relationship between housing and ageing, health inequalities, as well as broader equality issues. She currently leads the Digital Built Britain Housing Network, working closely with the Centre for Digital Built Britain to establish a research framework designed to challenge and influence social policy and government and industry thinking on the use of digital tools in the UK house building industry.
Active in many relevant academic and industry networks, Dr Burgess has wide-ranging experience of managing major research projects for a wide variety of funders, including central and local government, industry and third sector bodies.
Project Group Members
- Allia*: Martin Clark, Deputy CEO & Director of Impact Innovation
- Birketts*: Tom Newcombe, Partner
- Brookgate*: Jon Wooles, Group Finance Director
- Cambridge Ahead Honorary Vice-Chair*: Matthew Bullock, Chair of CA Regional Planning Group
- Cambridge City Council: Helen Reed, Housing Strategy Manager / Fiona Bryant, Strategic Director / Claire Flowers, Head of Housing Development Agency
- Cambridgeshire County Council: Noelle Godfrey, Head of Digital Infrastructure, Programme Director Connecting Cambridgeshire
- Cambridge Housing Society Group: Stephen Hills, Operations Director
- Carter Jonas*: Colin Brown, Partner
- COEL*: Neil Cook, CEO
- First Base*: Doug Higgins, Project Director
- Greater Cambridge Partnership: Niamh Matthews, Strategic Programme and Commissioning Manager
- Grosvenor*: Alex Robinson, Director of Development
- Hill*: Chloe Houston, Development Manager
- Homes & Communities Agency: Terry Fuller, Executive Director, East & South East
- Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL)*: Claire Racine, Associate Director - Upstream Sustainability Services
- Marshall of Cambridge*: Richard Howe, Managing Director, Group Properties Cambridge
- Mills & Reeve*: Peter Seaborn, Partner / Andrew Wood, Partner
- Pigeon Investment Management*: James Buxton, Executive Chairman
- Rapleys*: Angus Irvine, Partner
- Savills*: Mike Shaw, Director of Strategic Development / Abigail Jones, Associate / Tom Fraser, Director
- South Cambridgeshire District Council: Julie Fletcher, Head of Housing Strategy
- SQW: Bill Wicksteed, Director
- The Crown Estate*: Hayley Turley, Senior Asset Manager
- U+I*: Jonny Anstead, Director and Cofounder of TOWN
- Urban & Civic*: Caroline Foster, Senior Development Manager
* Member/Member organisation
- Jane Paterson-Todd, CEO
- Dan Thorp, Director of Policy and Programmes
- Lawrence Morris, Manager of Policy and Programmes